Friday, June 6, 2014

Byzantine Empire and Video Games.

  A few days ago my son came to me and asked me for a new game on Steam. It was on sale and he said he really wanted it.
Unfortunately we needed to wait until the next pay check I told him. So he remembered that we have a change jar and we counted first quarters, then dimes and even nickels and we had enough for his game, a few add ons and Gigi's Animal Jam membership. 

Yesterday he is telling me something about Middle Ages and Roman Empire and I am all confused.
I said the Roman Empire fell before the Middle Ages.
Later he is in my laptop reading something and I  sit with him to find him reading about the Byzantine Empire.

This is from Wikipedia:
"The Byzantine Empire was the predominantly Greek-speaking continuation of the eastern half of the Roman Empire during Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages. Its capital city was Constantinople (modern-day Istanbul), originally known as Byzantium. Often called the Eastern Roman Empire in this context, it survived the 5th century fragmentation and fall of the Western Roman Empireand continued to exist for an additional thousand years until it fell to the Ottoman Turks in 1453."


He was right!  There has been so many times he will say something that surprises me. He is always researching and learning amazing things and he loves History.
He is learning because he wants to and loves it and it is related to his passion for Video Games and most of all his passion for Learning.


I am still always amazed ! Like me he likes to compare historical facts in Games ( me books and movies) to see how close they follow real history.
I am learning so much from him telling me all this tidbits of history and challenging my own knowledge.




http://www.crusaderkings.com/

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Awesome! This game looks right up my boys' alley, just when I was searching for things to keep us busy during the hot summer months!

I, too, am amazed at how much we have learned from games and how it has inspired me to find out more.